Recipe For Kids: Chocolate Banana Muffins
This is the first recipe I am sharing. Simply because I will not sell them, anyone (with oven) can make chocolate banana muffins and the taste is not the usual sweet muffins you can buy outside. I love desserts but I don’t like very sweet ones that’s why I try to make them at home.
I’ve been baking banana breads for the past months but this is the first time I added chocolates in it. Simply because as much as possible I don’t give them or chocolate flavored foods to my daughter. So this recipe has mild chocolate flavor.
I use coconut oil for additional flavor and because I have lots of them from cooking “latik” for maja blanca. Almond meal is for more protein. When baking, I use the ingredients which are already available in the kitchen. Sometimes I use my daughter’s soy milk or cow’s milk light or full cream. You have already read or heard it somewhere but I’m gonna say it again. Overripe yellow bananas, those with dark spots, have richer flavor so you know it’s best for baking.
Try this recipe at home and I would love to hear comments from you. Enjoy!
- 2-3 large extra ripe bananas
- ⅓ Cadbury Baking 70% cocoa dark chocolate block
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup raw sugar
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 ml milk
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- Dark chocolate chips for toppings
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Put liners or grease a 12-hole or 2 x 6-hole muffin pans.
- Put chocolates in a bowl.
- Boil water in a small saucepan.
- Put the bowl of chocolate in the saucepan. Ensure water will not go into the bowl.
- Reduce the heat. Turn off when the chocolate is melted.
- Mash bananas using fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In a bigger bowl, cream together the coconut oil and sugars.
- Beat in the eggs until combined.
- Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Add in the vanilla extract and milk.
- Pour the melted chocolate.
- Add the almond meal.
- Add the dry/flour mixture in the bigger bowl.
- Stir gently and just until the flour is incorporated. DO NOT over stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips(5-8 pcs) on top.
- Bake on center rack for 25 minutes. Cooking time may vary. Toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan and place on a cooling rack to finish cooling.